Remember when the Pandemic started and everybody started making masks? It was a wonderful creative way to do something in the middle of chaos, wasn’t it? I fondly remember the mask I got from our library – pretty fabric, super comfortable, never felt like I couldn’t breathe properly, never fogged up my sunglasses. It wasn’t until we’d all got our mask-legs, that I realized that mask wasn’t very effective. It was single-ply and very loose-fitting. Air (and all its potential viral content) flowed merrily in and out from that mask. As soon as I found a better source of tight-fitting masks, I stopped using the library mask. But do you think I still have it? Of course I do and a whole bunch of other masks that didn’t quite fit right too.
It’s not like we can try them on before we buy them. Masks often come in one-size-doesn’t-fit-all, and you may have bought a pack and then found they were too tight or too roomy. But shoving them on a shelf or in a drawer somewhere doesn’t make them fit you any better.
Pareto’s Principle says 80% of your results come from 20% of your effort and applying that to our favorite topic, 80% of our things are most likely clutter, the remaining 20% are what we love, want and need. You can see clear proof in your closet, where 80% of your clothes quietly collect dust on their shoulders, and you wear the same few clothes over and again.
And so it is with masks. Your collection probably includes quite a few you use and a far greater number you don’t. This week, I’m letting the library mask go and a set of masks that look pretty but are just a tad too small for me. How about you, could you give your mask collection the once-over today?
Where To Donate Masks in Colorado
If there’s nothing wrong with a mask, but it just doesn’t fit you, donating masks is a kind idea. Children’s Hospital is a great place to start. All masks are sanitized before redistribution.