There are quite a few variables to consider:
- how quickly do you make decisions?
- do you want to talk about each item and discuss the pros and cons of keeping it?
- how easily can you generalize?
- can we say that all mail older than a year gets recycled or that we’re keeping all the books?
- how much is there to do?
- do you just have one area to work on or are we going to declutter the whole house?
What I’ve found is that as we work together, people gain confidence in their decision-making abilities and the process tends to speed up. But my mantra is that I work at your pace. I’ll push you a little bit but I’m never ever going to make you uncomfortable. However long it takes, we’ll get it done.